Friday, July 31, 2009

Writing Brochures and Business Cards, Part 1

Ok--this is out of the ordinary, but you ought to expect that coming from me. LOL. I know there are some technical writers out there or people in advertising who would love to share their tips on brochure writing.

Would anyone else be interested?

Whether or not we like it, writers need sales tools, too. If you are writing for your own business, for book publishers or for a business where you are employed, at some point, you are going to need business cards, brochures or at least a web page to advertise or represent your business.
What should you say or not say? How should you say it? Do you pay a professional advertiser to write it for you or create it yourself? How do you determine the best way to write it? Do finances play a part in your choice? Or do you purchase what you need, believing that this is the cost of advertising which you eventually will recover through the business you receive?

On your brochures, do you ask the usual questions as hooks? I.E. "Are you looking for...?" or "Are you tired of...?" Are they trite buzz words? Enquiring minds want to know.

Through the business endeavors I encounter, I am learning a variety of writing styles that I never thought I would need or want to try. I'm "loving" it!

I'm a life long learner of all things. Aren't you? Life never ceases to amaze me. I wouldn't pretend to but I desire to know it all. Maybe it's that strong New England spirit or the entrepreneur in me. I have to find answers to every question about everything I want to learn.

Why wonder when you can use the world wide web to find the information you need? Here are two articles about writing business handouts.
If you are really brave, then watch this educational video clip where the speaker (with a heavy northern accent, by the way) teaches us how to use MS Word to create a basic brochure. It takes a few minutes to watch and is perhaps not as modern and flashy as desirable, but it contains simple, step-by-step instruction for the average person to learn how--so stick with it until the end of the clip. You'll like it.



Most important of all, readers, I want to know what you think about the subject. What has worked for you? How do you feel about the topic? Are there any potential guest bloggers in the audience who would like to add their expertise on this subject?

2 comments:

JoJo Tabares said...

I have created brochures and business cards in the past but I no longer need them as everything I do is now online. Now my website is something I'm honing as my website IS my business card. As with each type of communication, each form requires different things and you can be an expert at brochures but not necessarily possess the skills needed to write a stellar website. I would love to see some expert advice on these things! One piece of advice I received seems to be a great place to start though. You were at one point a consumer of what your business offers. If your card or brochure or website doesn't appeal to you, it probably won't appeal to your customers.

Damaria Senne said...

I haven't ever made a brochure to market my writing, so I'm not quite I would make a brochure myself. I'd probably ask a professional designer to help me out; maybe trade services?

I saw on the video that there are a lot templates that I could use, but I don't know if I would be able to give the brochure a professional, polished feel and I'd rather err on the side of caution.