Monday, June 15, 2009

Write Here, Write Now

The following are some random thoughts about my writing at this time:

  • Today's writing journey was a fun one. I finished all the critiques for tonight's deadline and worked on a mega review for the TOS Crew. (I'll be posting that shortly on my Leaders in Learning blog.)

  • I learned a great deal about writing tonight at Palm Group. Though all of the authors and writers attended for the purpose of critiquing each other's works, there was a hidden opportunity to learn more about writing in general. When I hear another writer's perspective, I am inspired to see how the same words can impact readers in different ways. I am reminded of the power of word usage and personal voice. How easy it is to see when someone has thrown words onto a page which are not genuinely from the heart or which do not, with accuracy, express the intent of the writer because they are the wrong words. How carefully, then, must we choose phrases and symbols that communicate what we really believe and feel. I love to watch the impact of a powerfully written poem or short story and how it strikes a chord in the other writers' hearts. When an author shares a testimonial, he or she never knows who is going to be touched and how. It's exciting.

  • As one truly infatuated with writing, I struggle with wanting to sit at my laptop all day long and all night long so that I can write about the desires and deep seated feelings of my heart but still knowing that life must be lived in order to proceed. Yet, I feel guilty when I do something other than to write. This is how strongly I desire to put words into print, even if it for only my own eyes to view. It occured to me today that not all of writing is sitting down to type. Some of it is discovered in the daily living and pondering of life. Some of the best thoughts have come to me not only at my desk but also along the way-while doing the dishes, driving down the road, taking a shower, reading another book, watching television (on those rare occasions). Most wisdom is not thought up but discovered. So you see, you are still writing when you are not writing-if you will allow those moments to also be used for reflection. Think about life. Think about everything. There is much hidden meaning. We just have to pay attention to what we see and hear...and that on which we meditate will encompass that which we express in words.

Consider these quotes from famous authors:

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth

Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable. ~Francis Bacon

What no wife of a writer can ever understand is that a writer is working when he's staring out of the window. ~Burton Rascoe
Use the time to your advantage. Use even the moments when you are away from your desk to write. No time is a lost opportunity. Stop feeling guilty like I did. You can do it. Write here. Write now.

3 comments:

Rich and JoJo Tabares said...

How true. A true writer longs to write, even if it is a note on a post it!

And writing is not just putting pen to paper, or in the technical age, fingers to keyboard. Writing happens to me all day and all night in my thoughts. I often wake up in the middle of the night with an article in my head that has to jump out onto my blog.

Another for your random thoughts, BeckieJoie. Even if what you have written has been written and rewritten a thousand times, it is unique and almost born again if you do it with your own style and perspective. If you truly have a passion for the topic, it will be a fabulous piece!

And to misquote a line from an old movie: If you write it, they will come! If you write from the heart and share it with the world, there will come a time when you will have more than just your own eyes on your words!

I've been writing since I was 9 yrs old. I'll be 47 this year but please don't "do the math!" lol Another random thought is that it can be such a kick to look back at your earlier writings along the way and see how far you've come. See how you have developed your style.

For some, writing is a chore. For others writing is a task. But to the true writer, writing is a passion, a privilege and must!

BeckyJoie said...

I LOVE what you have said, JoJo! I appreciate your wisdom. I have also been writing since I was 9. I'm 39 now. :>)

Terri Tiffany said...

Awesome post Beckie. I am so much like you where I want to sit and write all day but sometimes my best thought come when I'm mopping a floor or working on the tread mill. Glad your evening was great!